Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Job in the Field

Psalm 37:3-5

3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in Him and He will do this:

One of my oldest fears about being "called" by God was thinking He would ask me to be a nun, or worse yet, to be a missionary in Africa or something like that. I was so relieved when I heard Pastor Ed’s teaching on this subject, saying that God does not work that way. He works on our hearts over a period of time until His desire for us becomes our desire.

God has been working on me for quite a while, from several different directions. He had given me a passion to be more active in the community and outside of the church. He had allowed concerns about finances to arise in our family. This past spring, as our youngest daughter, Debbie, graduated high school and was accepted into Kean University, the concern over tuition began to overwhelm me and I sought God in prayer for a full-time position. My position at MCC has been part-time.

At the Leadership Summit in August of this year, I was so torn up by Bill Hybels last talk. "Relentless" was the title, about Mother Theresa and the passion God put in her heart to help the poor and sick in Calcutta. I remember feeling so sad because I wanted to continue to serve Christ, but knew I needed to find full time employment. I didn't want to join a secular company and was concerned on how I would adjust to that after being secluded in the church for so long.

However, when I was first offered an interview with Urban Renewal Corp, a non-profit homeless shelter in Newark, I didn't even want to go. As God and I discussed the matter in the car on the way there, He told me, "I am not going to make you do anything. You will have to WANT this."

When I met the man behind the place, he so impressed me as someone who was doing Christ's work, although he is a not a committed Christ-follower. He was a businessman who fell into this because of his big heart. He is serious about serving the homeless, his program is impressive and comprehensive.

On Wednesday of this week, I was offered a position as Executive Assistant to the CEO of Urban Renewal, and because they needed to fill the position immediately, I began work on Thursday. I will be working also at MCC next week, and then off hours with the MCC staff as long as it takes to assure a smooth transition.

How fitting that God is sending me also to the mission field, even if it is only a few miles south of my home! I will still be able to make it home for dinner. God is indeed merciful!

This is something that I have been prayerful and patient about and I am confident that I am following God. I am sure that He will also provide what is needed at MCC to fill the gap I am leaving, because He loves us and always provides for His people.

It has been an honor and a privilege and a joy to serve Christ at MCC and I expect to continue to do so, just no longer 9-5.

Barbara

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Dear Barb,
I never thought in a milion years that you would stop working for MCC! Just last week, I saw a woman leaving the "Beth Moore" bible study at church and I wanted to say "Hi" to her and realized I don't know who she is. Immediately, my first instinct is to go find you so I can ask you who she is. I said "Barb would know her - she knows everyone!" But I realized then that you are not even there! It's sad when I think you're not there working anymore! I have passed by your office at times just to find its empty nest without you! Just seeing your "Christ-like" face was enough for me. I don't know if you know the impact that you had on many, many people, including myself. You have been a great encourager, a genuine friend and a wonderful counselor (don't worry I still see Sheila!) whenever I needed it! I am going to miss those times we get to chit chat at the powerpoint station! May God bless you in your new career! It was a pleasure serving Christ side by side with you!

Love you very much,
Marissa