Tuesday, October 01, 2013

31 Days to Become an Excellent Wife


“An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels.” (Proverbs 31:10)

Truth be told, I don’t have much interest in becoming an excellent wife. Oh, I want an excellent marriage, and even want to have an excellent husband.  But to be the excellent wife? Not so much. 

Actually, like most women, I am tired.  Tired of doing “everything” for “everyone.” Tired of trying so hard when it seems like the rest of my family is sitting on the couch. 

This whole “Proverbs 31” thing is annoying. What is this about anyway? Is this a bunch of super-women guilting us into trying to be perfect?  Was this some man’s idea of the ideal and non-existent woman?  For heavens sake, she is a mother, decorator, chef, international merchant, seamstress, business manager, real estate broker, agriculturalist, entrepreneur, humanitarian, and politician's wife.   How can we compare ourselfs with that?

But wait, let’s look back at this and see who is the author:

The sayings of King Lemuel—an inspired utterance his mother taught him. (Proverbs 31:1)

This was written by the queen mother, instructing her son the prince, on the kind of women he should look for to marry.  We can relate to that.  We only want the best woman for our sons, the best man for our daughters.  So she has her list of qualifications and teaching it to her son.  It is such a note-worth list that it find its way into sacred scripture.  And – get this – whoever King Lemual marries, she will be the Princess!  That is something I do want to be.

So let’s spend 31 days together and look at this proverb and other sections of scripture so we can be the princess.  
 
Father, I confess to you that although I am excited about my husband being better, and my marriage getting better, I am less excited about changing myself.  Help me be willing to undergo the transformation so that I can be all You have designed me to be: a princess in Your Kingdom.

Follow all 31 Days here:

Day 2 - Worth Far Above Jewels (As wives we are valuable to our husbands and our influence is important)
Day 3 - Delight attends her work (We need to find delight in our service to our family)
Day 4 - Before Dawn (Is is good to be diligent in caring for our family)
Day 5 - Expanding ... Prudently (We don't have to do everything!)
Day 6 - She makes her arms strong (Want to be beautiful? Work hard!)
Day 7 - I am domestically challenged! (God wants our family to find peace in our homes)
Day 8 - Allow another to lead (Submit?  No, really! It's a good choice)
Day 24 - do not deprive each other
Women of October: Deanna, Debbie, Caroline, Maria & Ana
Find all their birthdays in the blog posts for October

Other bloggers writing about one topic for 31 Days: at The Nesting Place

No comments: