Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Open your hands


She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor. (Proverbs 31:20 The Message)

I confess that reaching out to the poor is something I struggle with.  I think it is about the state of my current finances.  There was a time in my life, believe it or not, when I felt like I had enough money.  That was a long time ago, but I remember it.  After having children, it never happened again.  


And yet, compared to the rest of the world, our family is rich.  We have two homes (ok, one is small, just saying), 4 cars, plenty of food, clothing we can hardly fit in our closets.  And yet, I struggle to think we have enough.  I compare our lives with others who have more, not less. 

I don't have a problem serving others, but serving the poor is problematic.  It is dangerous to go where they live. I have all kinds of excuses, but they all add up to one thing. 

Greed.  I think all my stuff is MINE.  And I don't want to share.  I might not have enough for everything my family needs and wants.  I don't want to take the risk of not having enough.

The Excellent Wife is not like that.  She gives to ANYONE in need. She doesn't worry about if she has enough.  She doesn't make excuses ("maybe they will use it for drugs.."). She doesn't dawdle, she does it QUICKLY.  She does not wait for people to come to her, she REACHES OUT to them.  She goes to find them.  She is not concerned about what is left for her family. She is confident as the next line boasts:
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear. (Proverbs 31:21 The Message)

She trusts You, Father.  She is confident that You will provide her and her family.  

God wants us to give to the poor not only because the poor need it.  We need it.  It is not about redistribution of wealth, it is about our heart.  "It’s not about money. It’s about the undivided attention. It’s about the undivided focus of your heart." (Andy Stanley, "Guardrails")  We need to trust God with out stuff, our money and our time.  We might SAY we trust God, but we show it by how we share with others.  Especially others who are poor.

Father, You are trustworthy and all my stuff comes from You.  It is all Your stuff!  You have said time and time again that when we care for the poor, we care for You and expand Your Kingdom.  But is is hard, so help me.  Help me put Your kingdom first and my kingdom second.

No comments: