Saturday, October 26, 2013

Without a Word

In the same way, wives, you should patiently accept the authority of your husbands. This is so that even if they don’t obey God’s word, as they observe your pure respectful behavior, they may be persuaded without a word by the way you live. (1 Peter 3:1-2 The Voice)

Yesterday my friend Sue was telling us about an incident in her home where, during a commercial break, her husband made a statement about women in front of their son, and she thought it was dead wrong.  So she said so in no uncertain terms.  We all nodded in agreement with her assessment of the situation.  Then I asked her: "What was your husband's response?"  Not a good one, she told us, "He can be so stubborn. 

Yep, I have one of those too.

This is what I have learned: Just because I have something important to say, even if I am right, and he is wrong, doesn't mean I should say it.  Because the object of the game is to influence him. I have found that sometimes it is better to be silent and to be prayerful.  Other times when I do speak, I must be gentle, and respectful. That is the best way to influence him. 

Honestly, it is not only that he is stubborn.  Often I am harsh, unkind and disrespectful.
 
Ultimately, I need to be patient and wait for God's Holy Spirit to change hearts, whether it is my husband or my daughters or someone else.  People are more influenced by my life and character, than by what I tell them is right.  And often I find God is telling me to get out of His way, shut up and just pray.
 
Father, lately I have been convicted of speaking too much and praying too little.  My behavior demonstrates I trust my words more than the work of Your Holy Spirit working in the hearts and minds of those who I love.  Forgive me!  Help me know when to be quiet and when to speak.  When I speak, let me speak in kindness and with respect.  Let me pray always with confidence that You are mighty and You love us. Again, it all comes back to trusting You.
 
Let those around me be captivated by my life of  holy beauty because I worship and trust You alone!
 
The same goes for you wives: Be good wives to your husbands, responsive to their needs. There are husbands who, indifferent as they are to any words about God, will be captivated by your life of holy beauty. (The Message)

No comments: