Friday, October 04, 2013

Before Dawn

She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.  (Proverbs 31:15 NLT)


It was dark this morning when I got up, before my alarm, and the house was still.  How I love my kitchen in the quiet darkness of October!  I make my coffee and while it brews, I put away dishes, fill Gio's tall cup with juice, rummage in the refrigerator for lunch options.  This morning I even put a pork roast in my crock pot before breakfast. On days when it is really early, I eat my oatmeal before anyone is awake and enjoy my Bible reading undisturbed -- ahh bliss!  In the still before the world wakes up, it is then when I can best plan my day.

Because I am dropping Debbie at the train for her new job, I have been rising early and getting to my desk a half hour before the office opens, when the phones are quiet and most of the staff has not yet arrived.  It is the most productive time of the day.

On the days when I hit the snooze button too many times, or hit traffic and get to work late, nothing goes right.  I am rushed, out of sorts, running to catch up all day long.

Although it does not always happen in my real life, getting an early start and planning ahead makes everything run smoother.  I love how The Voice translation says it: She rises from bed early, in the still of night, carefully preparing food for her family.  The stillness of the early morning is a time when the world is quiet and I can hear God better.  I have more time to carefully prepare for the needs of my family.

Lately because I have had to get up early for Debbie, this has become more of a routine but during the summer, I was getting up later, and I could feel the stretch on my nerves. When I have a late start, the whole day all falls apart.  It is so tempting to fall into a routine of sleeping later, but those extra minutes of laying in bed are not worth it in the long run.  Reminds me of the proverb that says: 

How long do you plan to lounge your life away, you lazy fool? Will you ever get out of bed?
You say, “A little sleep, a little rest, a few more minutes, a nice little nap.”
But soon poverty will be on top of you like a robber; need will assault you like a well-armed warrior.  (Proverbs 6:9-11)



It is so easy to fall into a bad morning routine, Father!  Help me remember that extra sleep is better at 10 pm than it is at 7 am!  Help me to put the needs of my family first and to carefully plan for them.  Remind me, that in the end, it is better for me too and leads to confidence and peace!

No comments: