Thursday, October 31, 2013

Her delight and desire are in the law of the Lord

Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the woman
who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly
[following their advice, their plans and purposes], 
nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk,
nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather.

But her delight and desire are in the law of the Lord,
and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God)
she habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.
(Psalm 1:1-2 Amplified,
pronouns are changed, well, because He meant us too!)


So the end of the 31 days have come and there were a lot of words, but if I was to sum it up, I would used these verses. 

To be totally transparent, what I have done in the last 31 days is just what King David says here in Psalm 1. I have made it a habit of every night to meditate, ponder and study the teachings of God. I have nothing to offer of myself that is of value.  Only His Word gives life.  So what He has shared with me, I have shared here with you too.

In the end I found I have been wonderfully blessed by this exercise, beyond what I could have imagined. As I considered His Word, I compared it not to what I knew but how I was living, and God in His mercy has revealed much to me. But more than that, He has changed my heart.

Becoming an Excellent Wife does not come by compiling a list of rules, gritting our teeth, rolling up our sleeves and working harder. It comes by desiring and delighting in God, reading His love letter to us, and allowing His beauty to become our own.  

Most of my prayers ended up by asking God to increase my faith.  Faith does not come by anything we can do ourselves.  Trusting God comes about in the same way you learn to trust anyone else.  It begins by hanging around Him and seeing demonstrations of faithfulness day by day.  As we read His Word, and talk to Him in prayer, and see His working things out in our lives, we see and then believe that God is faithful, full of peace, joy, kindness, and mercy. 

And the more we are with Him, the more we are too.   

I know that part of being an Excellent Wife for me is having an husband who loves me tenderly and completely.  It makes everything so much easier.  That is a great mercy and I am grateful.

But in my experience, during good times and in bad, choosing the path of God's ways brings peace and fruitfulness.

And she shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything she does shall prosper [and come to maturity]. (Psalm 1:3, Amplified)


Father, yes, I want to be like that, a tree firmly planted, ready to bring forth fruit!  I know it is not by anything I can do.  All these traits I have discovered of the Excellent Wife are ultimately impossible to do apart from Your Spirit.  As I continue on my journey, I ask You to hold my hand and lead me to the best paths.  I rejoice that even when I am faithless You are faithful!  I ask that You cover over all the mistakes I have made and work all for good.  You are so good at that.  You are so good.  Thank You. Thank You.

I pray a double blessing for all who read this, that You would let them see how Beautiful and True and Trustworthy You are always.  I pray that in their marriages and in their families, You would give them the desires of their hearts, and beyond. Amen.


Begin over at the beginning: the 31 Days start by clicking here.

1 comment:

Ekko said...

Ok now, I just finished your “ 31 days of an excellent wife” in one setting. :). Very delightful reading and ample of lessons to learn/meditate/live out. As always, Barb, thank you! For the pieces you wrote, for the understanding that you cultivated and wisdom you shared. It has not been my desire to be an excellent wife. But I do want to be wise and to live out the life that Christ promised: a life in abundance. Abundance in the invisible realm where truth and freedom and joy reside. Love you, Ekko 10/21/2018