Friday, October 18, 2013

But you excel them all

...Her husband boasts of and praises her, saying: Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all. (Proverbs 31:28-28, Amplified)

When I was growing up, we never missed the Miss America Pageant. I would sit with my mom and we would pick our favorites in all the categories. We liked the contest because it wasn't just about beauty.  It was about talent, intelligence and character as well. As a girl, I would imagine how it would feel to be crowned Miss America, the best of them all, receiving the roses and the crown while Burt Parks sang, "There she is, Miss America..."

However, even as a girl, I was smart enough to know that Miss America was out of my league. But I could dream and so it went.

I would like to think my marriage has lasted 32 years because of my virtuous character and hard work, but I am sure it is all God's mercy.  God's mercy in closing doors that led to dangerous places, His redirecting me when I was being foolish, His blessing me with health and strength, but mostly His blessing me with a good man.  

My husband Al remarked about me a recent Facebook post: "Yes, she is a Excellent mom and wife, always caring for her family. I don't know where she finds the strength to care for us all. I love her more each passing year. God has truly Blessed us in our growing loving relationship. Love You , Dear."

Truly, Al's kind words about me is better than any Miss America crown! 

Regardless of how I am doing, it is a mercy that Al appreciates and praises me.  It is a blessing of God because Life is NOT Fair and many daughters have done virtuously and nobly and well but their husband don't express appreciation for them.  

Although even if Al did not compliment or value me, virtue is it's own reward.   

Father, thank you for the gift of my husband! Thank You that he loves and appreciates me and often expressed his these feeling to me.  Thank You that he thinks I am still beautiful even now at an age when my natural beauty has begun to fade.  Remind my sisters who are not as fortunate that You appreciate their integrity and that virtue is always it's own reward.

No comments: