Thursday, March 18, 2010

a time to weep

Ecclesiastes 3

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.


Today my little white dog KC was put to sleep.  Sweet to the end, he had laid there bleeding for two days and the vet said the time had come.  I had to take my evening walk alone.  No greeting bark was heard on my arrival back.

Today a letter was sent that sealed the end of my time at Claridge House.  I lasted a year, but now in 9 more days, I will need to leave and not come back.  The residents and vendors I speak to are sad and I want to weep.  But nothing can be done.

And that is it, really.  Nothing can be done.  Gio struggled to accept and understand.  He was mad at us.  When it was time for us go the vet with KC, and to leave him there, Gio kept saying "not yet, not yet!"

Not yet.  It is never time enough.  We want to hold onto the warmth, like the September days when we want summer to last forever. But the autumn winds blow and reminds us that we cannot stop the seasons.  We cannot stop the aging.  We cannot stop time and death and change.

But the snow piles melt and spring returns.  The days lengthen and the sun burns bright reminding us of the circle of seasons, giving us hope until we are united with our Beloved.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you send, choice look forward for the duration of more related articles promptly as its united of my pet question to read.