Last summer I was reminded what it was like to be the mom of littles and what Real Love is all about.
We spent the summer in our beach cottage. I call it a cottage so you can have an idea of what it is like. Think your two-car garage, add a toilet, shower stall, stove and refrigerator and you will get the idea. It is 500 square feet, a tiny house by today's standards. Somehow we managed to fit five adults and two children in this house for most of the summer.
There were three women bringing their own food and their own ideas of cooking. The 18-month old boy was just learning how to run and open doors himself. His way of showing affection was to hit you and pull your hair. The 4-year-old girl cried loudly at any misdeed done to her, especially when her brother hit or pulled her hair. Three of the adults had different food restrictions.
The floor was constantly cluttered with sand, food and toys. There was garbage with stinky diapers to take out; bathing suits and work shirts to wash in the sink and hang on the clothesline; beach chairs, umbrellas and towels to put away each evening. There was dinners to cook, dishes to wash, and a toddler unwilling to lay down at night to sleep unless we strolled him several blocks first.And it was wonderful despite the work and the chaos. Because for this brief time, my daughters and grandchildren were all in my house and I adore them and treasure being with them.
I loved watching the little ones get up and run and kiss me in the morning. I loved feeding them breakfast, combing their hair, swinging them around the living room, playing with them in the sand. I loved watching them get braver and stronger in the ocean waves. I loved kissing them good night and giving my grandson his bottle. I loved spend timeing with my older grandson and daughters, listening to them telling me about their lives, and even their troubles.
To allow love in my home, there is sacrifice. But sacrifice is good because with it comes love.
Truth be told, I am no gem either. My my daughters told me when I was out of line, saying things to my grandchildren they do not approve of, or when I was just grumpy. Thankfully they are forgiving. They also know the way to love is sacrifice.
Love comes with mutual submission, service, kindness, forgiveness, and honesty. It thrives when we put aside our desires to give to another. There is no love without it. When we love like this, we are like God: generous, merciful, just, kind. Relationships die when there is selfishness, pride, arrogance, and rude hurtful behavior.Motherhood is all about sacrifice. Sometime we can feel we have lost ourselves entirely and we long for the days of freedom before our children were born.
But it was worth the pain. It's a season that does not last forever. I was blessed to have a little of it back with my grandchildren this summer. My sacrifice of motherhood was a deposit that paid great dividends in love that came back to me.
For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. (Galatans 5:13 NLT)


No comments:
Post a Comment