Saturday, November 03, 2007

Come down from the roof

One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her...

2 Samuel 11:2-3


Where are your rooftops? Beth Moore asks us in her devotional journal on David.

The siren's song of sweetness sings, but it is idols of romance and laughter--of pride and fame and fortune and adventure--it masks and cries over the joy, love, peace, security from Christ alone. He says---seek first the Kingdom.

Father, he is on the rooftop and he is summoning me. But You alone are King and I must not go. It might not be wrong of me to bathe on the rooftop--but just because he summons me--I need not go. Hold me, Beloved. Be my everything.


Later Beth says "Confessing wrong thoughts stops sin in the first stages, before it comes out of our mouths and then directs our actions...we are wise to aggressively confess our thoughts...to mediate on Him and His Word!"

And He says to me...

"No weekly therapy can replace daily bathing yourself in My Word and allowing Me to deeply love you. Present your sinful thoughts to Me. I love you. I already know them. I am not surprised or shocked, only saddened at your reluctance to lay them at My feet.

Come, My daughter, come. Let Me speak tenderly to you of My forgiveness and mercy, My provision and care, My great love for you. What more must I do to express it that you would believe? Turn and trust Me! I have given you everything."


I wrote it in my journal but needed to say it again. Maybe again and again to myself. I have been shaken because I have be negligent in my devotion to His Word each day. I am weary because I have not refreshed myself in Him.

Come, my Beloved. Help me down from the roof and hold me. Hold me. Be my Everything.

No comments: