Wednesday, March 26, 2014

what the Father is doing

John 5:19-40

I loved my dad so much.  One sweet memory I have is when I was age 12, I began to work for him in his hairdressing shop.  He called me his "go-for." He would ask his customers if they wanted coffee, and then he would send me across the street to buy it for them.  He would cut hair and I would sweep it up.  He would roll their hair into rollers, and I would stand beside him and hand him clips.  I loved watching him work.  Eventually when he grew older, and was unable to cut our hair, I took over.  I still cut my husband's hair today, without even one formal lesson.  I remember what my father did, and I do that. 

I think of that when I read Jesus' words:

I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by Himself. He does only what He sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows Him everything He is doing. 

As I followed my dad around the shop, and stood close by, listening, looking for ways to help, following his instructions, I became like him.  That is what Jesus wants for me. I never thought anything about running across the street to buy coffee.  Dad gave me money and he sent me, so it was all right. I trusted dad.  Dad proved himself to be trustworthy to me over and over again.  I was confident in Dad's love. I also knew what he was doing.  He hid nothing from me.  And because he showed me, I too could do those things. 

I can do nothing on My own. I judge as God tells Me. Therefore, My judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the One who sent Me, not My own will.

Jesus followed His Father and did His will. Jesus never did His own thing.  He never went His own way. He and the Father were One.  They agreed and worked together. 

But more than obedience, more than following a bunch of rules, it was about relationship.  Jesus followed God the Father because He trusted in the Father's love.  Just like I trusted in my dad's love.

Here you are scouring through the Scriptures, hoping that you will find eternal life among a pile of scrolls. What you don’t seem to understand is that the Scriptures point to Me.  Here I am with you, and still you reject the truth contained in the law and prophets by refusing to come to Me so that you can have life.


It is not about the rules.  It is about Jesus.  It is about leaning in, learning about Him, and then seeing His great compassion, power, justice, and purity. 

And when we do see Him, truly see Him, how can we not fall in love?  How can we not trust Him? How can we not become like Him?

I remember that trust, Beloved, that I had for my dad.  I see it again now with Gio and Al, the blind, unsoiled trust of a child.  No wonder You tell us to be like that, like a child. 

Remind me again of the beauty of Your holiness so I can rest in Your care and obey Your truth. Do not allow riches, fame or anyone's approval ever deter me from following You. 

I have pursued you, coming here in My Father’s name, and you have turned Me away. If someone else were to approach you with a different set of credentials, you would welcome him. That’s why it is hard to see how true faith is even possible for you: you are consumed by the approval of other men, longing to look good in their eyes; and yet you disregard the approval of the one true God.  

No comments: