Sunday, April 06, 2014

Thief

John 10:1-21

My husband Al works for a large but local newspaper. He brings a copy home every day. Increasingly, I have been troubled by the front page. It used to be newspapers prided themselves in telling objective facts.  Not so much any more. Today you have to seek out multiple sources for every story to get a good perspective.

It may be in print, but it is not necessarily true.

One aspect of my job (in a community management firm) is to assist in customer service-type phone calls.  Increasingly, people call me and tell me their story, but I no longer believe them.  I check with the super of the building, neighbors, or members of the board. As with the news, I have to seek our multiple sources for every call to get an accurate perspective.

The caller may really believe her story and may be convincing, but it is not necessarily true.

Many religions have truth claims.  How do I know the claims of Christianity are true? Maybe all religions are true. Maybe it's all God, we just call Him different names. Glad you asked. Here's Jesus' words:

I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! But the one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 

Jesus tells us there are false claims. There are thieves that are trying to sneak in and deceive and rob true faith. ** Do not be naive. 

There's a thief.    

But how do we know who is telling us the truth?

It seems to go back to relationship.  The gatekeeper recognizes the shepherd, the sheep recognize the shepherd.  But there is another important point...

A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.

Compassion. Courage. Commitment. That is what separates the hired hand from the good shepherd. How committed, you ask?  

I sacrifice My life for the sheep.


Yes, that is pretty committed. 

Beloved, what can I say to You when I consider what You have done for me. Freely, You laid down Your life so that I may be cleansed of my imperfections and live with You forever. You are worthy to be worshiped and praised. Where You have called me to minister, let me also freely show compassion and courage and commitment. Let me show others Your love. 

He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. They won’t follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don’t know his voice....I know my own sheep, and they know Me, just as My Father knows Me and I know the Father.

** For more information if there is one true religion, check out this website:  PleaseConvinceMe.com

No comments: