Saturday, October 21, 2006

Go into the party

“My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.” Luke 15:31

There was a saying we had in corporate. After a project was over, then came the persecution of the innocent and the promotion of the non-participants.

Isn’t that how the older son felt in this parable? I can relate to him. I have been the faithful one. I have been here serving you all these years. I was the one out in the fields today with the sheep and the dung and the dirt. Now he comes back, and he gets the robe and the ring and the big party. He did not do anything to deserve your kindness. He did no work. He even hurt you by leaving and taking half your money!

And what do I get? More dirty work. And no thanks.

Makes you want to do just what the older son here did, stand outside of the big party and sulk.

But the fathers plea to him says it all. You have always been with me. Everything I had has always been yours.

And I hear Jesus saying to me,

“It is not a mistake that you have stayed behind as your brother left. I needed you here to serve. I knew you would be willing and up to it. It is a great honor to have been chosen for the field. They are My sheep you have loved and loved well. The gift for you, dearest daughter, is that you have had been chosen to be in My house all this time.

And do you really want to trade 5 minutes of fame on the platform for the years you have been in My house serving Me?”

No, dear Jesus, I do not. The gift You have given me truly is greater than I deserve. Hold my hand, sweet Jesus, and let’s go into the party together.

No comments: