Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Parting

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. (John 1:1-2)
Father
Son?
Son
Yes, Dad.
Father
It’s time, Son.
Son
I’m ready. I’m willing. I’ve always been willing.
Father
Yes, I know. It was your idea from the first.
Son
We all agreed it was the only way. I want it this
way. From the beginning we knew that if we gave
them the choice, they would go their own way.
But we wanted them to choose us freely.
Father
You are right. It is not love if they do not
choose us.
Son
Yes, and we want them to experience the joy
of true love. And since all of them have
chosen to go their own way, the only way to
save them once and for all is for me to go to them. I love them too much to lose them forever.
Father
Me too. But even after your work is done,
some of them, indeed most of them, still
will not choose you.
Son
Even still for those few who come to me, Dad,
I am willing. Just for them, I do this. It is difficult for me to leave you and all this.
Father
Son, we will talk. Whenever you want,
I’m here for you.
We won’t really be apart until the end.
Son
That will be the hardest part.
But it will be worth it.
I love them so much, Dad. We can’t not do this.
Father
Even you are free to choose, Son.
You can choose to not do this.
Son
Yes, I know. I will do this. I’m ready to go now.
Just one last thing, Dad -- Hold me.
Father
Don’t worry, Son, I will not let you go.


The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

No comments: