Thursday, December 29, 2011

What I learned in 2011

When I came home today, Al shared with me his list of what he learned in 2011...an excellent idea to review and record. So here is my list too...
  1. It is important to find a place where you feel valued for what you have to contribute. I have found that in my job. After 3 years, I feel competent and my boss regularly reminds me of how much he appreciates my contribution. My office is a special place filled with the nicest, most caring of people. All of us make unique contributions and add to the whole. We care and encourage each other. It is sweet and I am blessed and blossoming. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

  2. That leads me to the second thing, which is attitude is everything and it is all about choice. There are always things that can be improved, and we are surrounded by imperfect people because we are all imperfect! Having a positive attitude makes the difference between joy and peace verses depression and angst. And it is all about our perspective, which is our choice. We can choose to be positive, to dwell on the goodness and to have hope for the future. Even when we are surrounded by people who are negative, we can still choose to look past it, to change the subject, to unabashedly smile in the face of it. If there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Phil 4:8)

  3. Forgiveness is vital to happiness. I have learned to drag up past hurts, not to review and relive them, but to route them out to forgive those who have thoughtlessly and even ruthlessly hurt me. It has given me such peace and joy! My greatest regret is that I did not do this sooner. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)

  4. Learning is good but application is better. These past years I have learned so much about God, grace, faith and Biblical history from my pastor and I am truly blessed. But this past year, my learning has been supplemented by others who preach towards application: how the Word of God can work in my life. It has helped me in my relationships, my work, my attitude, everything. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. (James 1:22)

  5. Be still and know that I am God. I am not there yet, but I am getting better at not driving, sitting next to God and letting His take the wheel and direct my life as opposed to dragging Him down the road by His hair. I just read the rest of this verse recently: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46:10). God will accomplish all His plans. God doesn't need my help. Nor does anyone else. It is not my portion to look around and see what no one else wants to do and then do that thing. Maybe it was during a prior season. Now I can wait for Him to lead me. The still small voice. Or He can kick the door open. Whatever. But I am no longer into hair pulling and I am praising Him that He has been so patient and longsuffering with me.
Father, lead me, direct me into Your wonderful plans for the next year! I love You! Help me trust You more!

No comments: