Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Every word from His mouth

Matthew 4:2-3, 11

Jesus was hungry.  He was weary.  And so came the tempter: "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."  Then came the classic reply: 

It is written: "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Words.  Our words are sounds that come out of our mouths.  But for God, words are commands and the universe complies.  He speaks and stars fill the sky, fish fill the sea, and grains of sand fill the shore. The words of the Lord are powerful, eternal, beautiful, awesome, sweet, compassionate. 

When I am weary, the things of the world loom so large.  It is easy to grow confused.  Am I the daughter of God?  I heard that in a sermon once, but I am so hungry now.  Yeah, I will  take the bread. 

But Jesus is not deceived. Food is good, important even.  But it is not the most important thing.  The thing that brings life is every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Every word. None of it is unimportant.  All of it is true.  It is the word of God, the very same God who created the universe, died for the sins of humanity, rose again from the dead, and who will come out of heaven again at the end of the age to redeem us and our world so we can be blessed in paradise with Him for eternity.  Yes that God. 

He talks to me.  To me.  

He wants me to hear and to obey.  Not to do whatever I want, even if it seems right, fulfilling my needs, harmless.  He wants me to look to Him and to His word for direction, trust, nourishment for the journey.

Father, I take my study of Your word far too lightly.  I would not miss a meal, and yet, I would miss days of the nourishment of Your word. Your word is a gift to me that I leave in my closet, on the floor, gathering dust.  Forgive me!  It calls to me, let me answer, let me drink it, let it strengthen me, sustain me, change me.  I am Your daughter.  Let me not forget that.  But that does not mean I can do as I please.  It means I am free to please You.  Amen.  

Then the devil left Him, and angels came and attended Him.

No comments: