Sunday, November 30, 2014

When to pray

Ever feel dry? You long for a cool drink.
Ever feel weary? You search for a place to sit, time to rest, close your tired eyes.

Yesterday I felt both with a deep longing. I was not physically thirsty or tired. I felt spiritually dry.

Recently my prayers had been reduced to the laundry list.  I requested all good things: wellness for sick friends, spiritual awakening for family far from God, wisdom for my boss in the affairs of his business, safety for my husband and daughters. They were prayers hastily whispered in the rush of the mundane, yet necessary things of life: meals to cook, laundry to wash, letters to mail, family to call.

Finally, at day's end, I lay in my bed exhausted but wakeful. Jesus where are You? My cries for Him seemed to drift off in the dark room.

I hear Jesus better when I sit ready to write down His words
This morning, as I sat with my Bible and journal, I read these words from Jesus' brother James and they jumped off the page at me and rested on my heart.

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord... My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen...Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:5-7, 19, 22)

Then I heard Him say to me...

I want you to hear Me when you already think you know what to do.
I want you to ask Me when you think you already have the answer.
I want you to pray when you have no problem but instead an opportunity and you have already decided.
I want you to stop and ask Me when you want to forge ahead.
I want you to seek Me for courage when you have decided to stay in bed.
That's when I want you to pray.
Just when you don't want to or feel your need to pray.
And then when I speak, I want you to OBEY. 

Yes, Beloved, You are so right! I still want Genie Jesus: rub the magic Bible and I get my three wishes. But You are so much bigger and better than that fantasy! You want to give me the abundant life only available to me when I partake of your wisdom daily. Help me to remember to seek You at all times and give me the courage to obey!

No comments: