Saturday, August 03, 2024

Fog

Aunt Ana and Ella in the fog.

The air cooled as I walked to the ocean. The white caps on the waves were barely visible as I rounded the top of the dune. 

How is the water? I asked the departing surfer.

Frigid and rough, he replied.

As I walked to the water's edge, the fog was so thick I could not see the life guard stands on the neighboring beach. Everything in front of me seemed to disappear into the fog when I walked along the ocean's shore. I could not see what was ahead, and what was behind me also vanished into the heavy white fog.

Like the future, we cannot see what is up ahead. Unlike the surfer, no one can come back from the future to tell us what is there. No one knows but You, Beloved Jesus. You are already there in the future. You will greet me with Your loving arms and only then will it be clearly seen. 

Ella feels safe with mom and
Aunt Chrissy
When I look back to my past, it too is clouded by my current knowledge, my attitudes. My heart cannot always rightly remember. Only You know, Beloved. And You will not tell me. 

Can I trust You with this secret? Can I have faith that You will be there?  Will I stay at peace while I still do not yet know?

Or will I trust these others who assert that they too can see into the future? I am sure they cannot, nor will they be there to depend on, to give me the provision and safety I will need. 

No! I will trust only You, Beloved. Only You.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

No comments: