Wednesday, March 23, 2011

He’s just a carpenter

Mark 6:1-6
They were deeply offended and refused to believe in him.

Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.” And because of their unbelief, He couldn’t do any miracles among them except to place His hands on a few sick people and heal them. And He was amazed at their unbelief.

In contrast to Jesus being amazed at faith, here He is amazed at unbelief. But even worse, these are the people in His own neighborhood, people who He grew up with, who knew Him.

It is easy to be impressed at someone's faith and spiritual gifts who we do not know, and harder to accept that the people we do know and are close to are able to change and grow in God. But that is unbelief in the power of the Holy Spirit. Help me to remember people grow up Spiritually like my grandson grows tall and to see old friends in new spiritual realms, because the Spirit does work in people, even people we know! I am amazed how God has worked in my husband Al. He is truly a new man! Help me to guard against being offended at the growing faith of others, or being cautious to trust it. Help me to remember that I am really trusting You, Father.

The other point is the lack of Christ's power in the face of their unbelief. On one hand we need to remember, God works often in spite of us. But how much more He would work if we would believe Him for bigger things! I want to find out, Father! I want my faith to be bigger - to be foolish in my trusting in You! Help me, Beloved, trust You more, to trust You totally.

No comments: