Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tell them everything the Lord has done for you

Mark 5:1-20
Then those who had seen what happened told the others about the demon-possessed man and the pigs. And the crowd began pleading with Jesus to go away and leave them alone.

As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, “No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been.” So the man started off to visit the Ten Towns of that region and began to proclaim the great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed at what he told them.

This story of Mark is exhausting, just reading it! Jesus, how comforted I am to know You really understand and can sympathize with the busy-ness of our lives!

Again I find interesting the vastly different reactions to Jesus. They saw the same miracle, the towns people and the man who had been demon possessed, and yet, the townspeople wanted Jesus to go away, and the man who had been demon possessed wanted to go with Jesus. Unlike Matthew and the other disciples, this man was not invited to follow Jesus. His job was no less important: to tell others what had been done for him. This reminds me how we are all called to different things, some to follow Jesus and teach, others to share in testimony, but all are important to the kingdom. Especially people who have experienced a miracle at the hands of Christ, need to be willing to, and invited to tell their story, because it often creates responses of faith.

Jesus, help me to hear where You want me to go, and what You want me to do, not looking to the left or the right, but to follow Your voice and trust You, indeed rest in You. Remind me that the small portion You have given me is important and my contribution is valuable. Let me be active and passionate to show love to others in the way You have shown it to me.

No comments: