Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Free

John 8:31-47


Jesus said to the Jews who believed in Him, “If you continue to accept and obey My teaching, you are really My followers. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”


I love this photo because it demonstrates that freedom is sweeter when you have been enchained. Until you see the chains and feel their weight, you don't understand how wonderful freedom is.

That was the problem with many of the people Jesus met.  They did not feel the chains.  They thought they were fine already, thank you.  There was no great desire for freedom.


They answered, “We are Abraham’s descendants. And we have never been slaves. So why do You say that we will be free?”


We have never been slaves, they said.  They did not have a problem. They were not looking for anything different.  But that is why truth is so important.  That is what they did not see...

Jesus said, “The truth is, everyone who sins is a slave—a slave to sin."

That is the truth.  When we sin, we are slaves to sin.  All of us. See how He said everyone?  He was not kidding.

I can see it in my own life.  The sin I enjoy. The sin that draws me, taunts me, enslaves me. I want to be rid of it but it follows me around.  I know I should flee from it, but I do not.

What is the formula, Jesus?  What do I do? I confess, You are truth and I agree. Now what? 

So if the Son makes you free, you are really free...If God were really your Father, you would love Me.

Is that all there is?  Just loving You? Just knowing I need You? Just knowing You are truth?

I do, I do.  I believe. Remind me that is not about the list.  I am still looking for that list.  You ARE the truth. You ARE. 

In many areas, I am still not free.  Sin still binds me in its chains. Let me draw close to who You are so I can know You more. Knowing You sets me free to obey Your truth and be the woman You always intended me to be.

Free. 

No comments: