Thursday, April 03, 2014

in the Spotlight

John 8:48-59

I simply honor my Father, while you dishonor Me. I am not trying to get anything for Myself. God intends something gloriously grand here and is making the decisions that will bring it about...

If I turned the spotlight on Myself, it wouldn’t amount to anything. But My Father, the same One you say is your Father, put Me here at this time and place of splendor. You haven’t recognized Him in this. But I have. If I, in false modesty, said I didn’t know what was going on, I would be as much of a liar as you are. But I do know, and I am doing what He says. 

What a beautiful explanation of greatness in humility.  Jesus is not trying to prove anything to them.  He in not trying to get them to worship Him. He is trying to get them to recognize the Father's hand. Jesus wants them to experience life and peace.  He wants to save them from death...

I say this with absolute confidence. If you practice what I’m telling you, you’ll never have to look death in the face.

Jesus does not make any effort to get into the spotlight at all.  He is all about doing what the Father says. He is confident that the Father will do the right thing, the best thing. 

Jesus is pointing them to what the Father is doing.  The Father honors and glorifies the Son.  There is no maneuvering, jostling for position, clawing to be recognized, or bumping out others in an effort to get to the top.  There is simply mutual admiration and trust for each other.

The way to greatness is obedience. It is practicing what Jesus tells us. More than that, it is the only way to life!

Father, that is what You want for all of us. That is what You want for me.  As I practice what You are telling me, as I use my Spiritual Gifts to honor You and to serve others, You intend to bring about something gloriously grand here in my life too.  Something unique for me.  But really, it is You working through me.  All the glory, all the spotlight is on You!

Abraham—your ‘father’—with jubilant faith looked down the corridors of history and saw My day coming. He saw it and cheered.

No comments: