Tuesday, April 08, 2014

My sheep

John 10:22-42

The Jewish leaders gathered around Him and said, “How long will you make us wonder and keep us in suspense about you? If you are the Christ, the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered them,
“I told you already, but you did not believe. The miracles (works) I do in My Father’s name show who I am -- they testify/bear witness about Me. But you don’t believe, because you are not My sheep. My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one can steal or snatch them out of My hand. My Father gave My sheep to Me. He is greater than all, and no person can steal or snatch My sheep out of My Father’s hand." 

Such a beautiful contrast between those who follow Jesus and those refuse to believe! What does it tell me about myself, as a woman who believes You are who You say You are? It says...
  • I am Yours.  I belong to You. I am a gift to You from the Father. 
  • No one can take me away from You.  No one can steal me, snatch me.  You hold me tight.  Yes there are thieves but no one is more powerful than the Father and no one has the power, cunning, or ability to take me away from You.
  • I can hear You. I recognize Your voice and I can tell the difference between Your voice and the voice of a stranger. No one can fool me for long.
  • You know all about me, and yet I am Yours and You love me. My imperfections are things You take joy in healing and washing clean. They are not what separates me from You because You took care of all that already. In Your death, it was finished.
  • I follow You. I may not do it perfectly but I am following. It is more about location than execution. You have already taken care of my mistakes. 
  • You give me eternal life. Before I was dead in my sin. I was dead to the things of the Spirit. In Your rising I too have new life.
The Jewish leaders did not listen to Jesus, they did not believe Him, nor did they believe the miraculous works that He did. They excluded themselves. Jesus never excluded them. The prison door was locked shut but the key was on the inside. 

No matter what Jesus did, no matter what Jesus said, their minds were made up. 

Beloved, I can trust Your care for me. I have been restless and troubled because my life is changing and uncertain, but all the certainty I need is being in Your loving care. You know me, I am Yours, no one can snatch me out of Your hand. Nothing I do can disqualify me from Your love. Even my stupid mistakes. Even my foolish sins.

I can trust You will judge others with truth and with mercy. I should pray for them, but I don't have to worry about them.

Beloved, let me have peace and trust You in all things. You are so worthy. You are so good.



"If I don’t do what My Father does, then don’t believe what I say. But if I do what My Father does, you should believe in what I do. You might not believe in Me, but you should believe in the things I do. Then you will know and understand that the Father is in Me and I am in the Father.” 

No comments: