Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lydia: A Strong Woman

What does God think of strong women?

Sometimes I wonder. Especially reading this verse from 1 Peter 3:3-5: Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands...

A gentle and quiet spirit--that's what God says is beautiful. If so, I am in trouble. I have always been more of the rowdy and rough type, the "let's get going and get it done" type. More of a Martha than a Mary. But didn't God make me that way? Is this so bad?

Yesterday in life group we were introduced to a woman named Lydia, who Paul meets in Philippi. Lydia is a successful business woman, forceful and persuasive. She also had a heart for God.

On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us. (Acts 16:13-15)

God gives us all gifts and He intends for us to use them. God gives us gifts to us for His good and His glory. This is exactly what Lydia did. She brought used her strength to bring her household to faith.

God loves strong women. I am so glad. In the end I also remember that it takes inner strength to submit, to be humble and teachable. And it takes courage to have faith.

Thank you, Jesus for making me the strong woman I am.  May I always use my strength for Your good and Your glory!

No comments: