Wednesday, October 23, 2013

a helper suitable for him

The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” (Genesis 2:18)


Up to this point in creation, everything God created was "good" until this part.  It was not good for the man to be alone.  

I see that in everyday life.  Men need something that is not innately inside of them.  I see it in men who live most of their life as single. Men need a "helper suitable."
Al, my hero, on the Beach House roof
I saw this the other day when we had a few days off together at our beach cottage.  Al could have done the last work items of our beach house alone, but he was more motivated to complete the jobs in front of him when he had his "helper suitable" with him, and that was me!

We did lots of things inside because the weather was rainy but then on our last day there, Al announced he had to go on the roof to seal some of the shingles flapping in the wind.  So here he is, my hero, on the roof.  Ok, it's only a small one story cottage on a cement slab so it's not really that high, but wait, how did he get up there?


The Ladder: How Al got on the roof!
Ok, so this is his ladder.  Don't laugh!  He is very proud of this ladder.  His dad made it himself and it is two parts, held together by sliding the one section into a metal sleeve.  The ladder got wet during Super Storm Sandy. The metal is rusted and the wood has black spots from the mold even after I bleached it three times.  Al refused to throw it out because his dad made it.  

But the pertinent information is this: Al actually uses this ladder to climb on the roof.  

My role?  Hold the ladder.

Maybe it is not a glamorous job, but it's very important.  

I think the Excellent Wife does that.  She is available, willing and able to do the dirty jobs, the mundane duties, and the tiresome tasks that are vital to her husband's life.

Because when you have someone to hold your ladder, you can get to higher places, you can get their safely and with more confidence.  In the end, all good things for Al are also for me.  It is my beach cottage as well as his.  It is my roof as well as his.  I thank God he is willing to go on the roof in the first place and I certainly want him to be safe. 

Holding the ladder, watching him work encourages him and he feels loved.  It's important.  Matter of fact, scripture tells us: That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Genesis 2:24).

Father, I don't always like hanging around watching Al work, holding his ladder. This last time, I was struck by how valuable that role is, how God-ordained and God-honoring it is.  Encourage me to do it more often, with more of a smile.  Thank you for letting me see.

What is your husband's ladder?  How can you hold it for him?

No comments: