Monday, October 28, 2013

Let nothing terrify you

For it was thus that the pious women of old who hoped in God were [accustomed] to beautify themselves and were submissive to their husbands [adapting themselves to them as themselves secondary and dependent upon them].
It was thus that Sarah obeyed Abraham [following his guidance and acknowledging his headship over her by] calling him lord (master, leader, authority). And you are now her true daughters if you do right and let nothing terrify you [not giving way to hysterical fears or letting anxieties unnerve you]. (1 Peter 3:5-6 Amplified)
Don't you love Peter's train of thought here: Want to be beautiful?  Then be submissive and follow your husband's lead.  But it can lead to hysterical fears and anxieties that can unnerve you.  Great, Pete.  Have any other suggestions?  How about a nice spa treatment with a pedicure?
 
Can we be perfectly honest here?  Being submissive can be terrifying.
 
Sarah was a excellent example.  Following her husband Abraham's lead got her into two very difficult predicaments. First when in Egypt, Abraham lied and said she was not his wife and she ended up in  Pharaoh's palace. Decades later, Abraham does the same thing again and Sarah ends up in another king's palace.  Both passages of scripture are just a few sentences long so we can gloss over the fact that Sarah must have been terrified.  I certainly would have been.  Clearly in both of these cases, Abraham made wrong decisions for purely selfish motives.  Despite that, clearly Sarah went along with him and what he wanted to do.  
 
He was her authority and it was terrifying. 
 
Nothing this drastic has happened to me and yet, I can get unnerved and near hysterical when I am absolutely sure that Al is wrong.  I am right and if he would only list to me, if he would only follow me, submit to my authority, let me lead....
 
But God protected Sarah in both cases and it worked out well for her.  I am cognizant of that fact that this is just what happened to Sarah, and it is not a promise of the Lord.  And yet, He says I am Sarah's daughter when I am like her.  I am beautiful when I submit to my own husband.  The quiet and gentle spirit that is just not a part of me naturally.  But the Holy Spirit in me makes it possible.
 
And yet, I am reminded that when I submit to Al, as God tell us to submit to one another, I am really submitting to God.  I am really trusting God.   The only other option is to try to force the other person into submitting to you.  
 
Anyone can see how that is downright ugly.
 
Father, I want to obey You, but it can be uncomfortable at best and frightful at worse.  Hold me tight and remind me that I can trust You even when I feel like I cannot trust him.  Let me adapt myself to Al out of love for You.  Help me to follow his guidance and acknowledge his headship over me, because You have give him that headship and I can trust You.

No comments: