Thursday, October 17, 2013

Her children rise

Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her.  (Proverbs 31:27, Amplified)

Children.  When they were little, mine always loved me. They thought I was wonderful, always right, perfect just as I was.  Then as the teen years creeped in, and the inevitable happened.  They began to look at me critically and see the flaws. The flaws were always there, but now, they can see them. No longer did they trust me so much because now they knew I was not always wonderful, right or perfect.  They were disappointed.  So was I. 

When they were young I was wonderful
In retrospect, I think that one of our goals as moms should be to not have our kids hate us by the time they are 25.  On the other hand we must discipline them and that never makes us popular.  

But it not about being popular.  The point is for us to have such good character, that even our adult children will look at us and recognize our virtue.

It is easy to look good when we are out in the office, with friends, at church, dressed our best, put together and on our best behavior.  It is much more difficult in the close up, in-your-face, from-sun-up-to-sun-down realism of family life.  The people who live with us know us.  We cannot hide from them.  Our true self comes through.  So if our children and husband say good things about us, we have succeeded.  

I spend too much energy making sure I look successful to other people, to be successful.  In the end I want my children to rise up, as if to applaud and say I am happy, fortunate, to be envied.  I want my daughters to be able to say good things about me.  I want my husband to boast and brag about me.  That is how I will know I am a successful woman.  I want to have the kind of integrity that shines through even close up.  That alone is my yardstick.

Father, remind me that what is inside of me comes out, especially at home.  Help me to watch over my heart and my attitudes as well as my actions.  Fill me up to love others not only during the day, but also at the exhausted end of the day, when I am home.   

Her children say good things about her. Her husband brags about her. (Easy-to-Read version)

No comments: